After severe weather incidents, you will want to avoid storm chasers at all cost. They are dishonest roofers who claim to help homeowners fix storm damages, but do it very quickly and inefficiently just so they can make a quick buck – in other words, a roofing scam.
It’s important to be aware of fraudulent roofers so you can protect yourself from losing money and hurting your home because of faulty workmanship. If you don’t want to fall victim to these storm scams, here are some ways to avoid storm chasers who boldly exploit desperate homeowners.
1. Be suspicious of “knock-on-door” roofing contractors. After a storm rolls in, legitimate businesses are usually swamped with roofing jobs. They are simply too busy to visit areas and knock on doors to sell you roofing repairs. When you encounter this, ignore the sales pitch and end the conversation right away.
2. Decline limited time offers. Storm chasers use this incredibly deceiving tactic to pressure homeowners to agree to the work. Real business owners have no time stamp on the roofing solutions they provide, and some even proudly offer emergency repair systems to their locales.
3. Ask where they are based. When you hire contractors, it’s best to work with ones from your local area since they know the policies and building codes specific to their locality. Most storm chasers will not be from the local area.
4. Avoid large upfront payments. It’s reasonable that real roofing contractors ask for a deposit upfront, but it will only be enough to cover their costs. This shows confidence in their abilities to complete the required work on time and do it right. When a roofer demands a large upfront payment, it’s most likely a scam.
5. Know your roof. The best way to know what repairs you need is to understand your own roof condition. Do a safe inspection of the roof after the storm, and look for shingles that are torn off by high winds or other issues like fallen tree limbs. This way, you can avoid dishonest work from fake roofers.
If you need help with your roof, turn to one of the leading roofing businesses in Texas – Punum Roofing of Houston, Inc. Our team aims to deliver excellent roofing solutions and help owners achieve their dream homes. Call us today at (713) 244-5530, or fill out this contact form to submit a request or schedule a consultation.